Getting the R-134A retrofit colder

Hi,

On my '87 Volvo 240, I've had the air conditioning compressor replaced (along with the hoses) and also had that retrofit done (R-134A if I'm not mistaken). I'm noticing that the air conditioner is only reasonably cool when on low. At 2, 3 or 4, the air is much less cool. At the time, the air conditioning guy recommended adding an additional fan somewhere under the bonnet (might have been in front of the compressor) to improve cooling which I decided not to proceed with. Has anyone heard of doing something like this and if so, is it effective? Sorry, my details are a bit sketchy. Are there other ways of getting things cooler?

Han.

Reply to
han_chung

A fan behind the grill on the evaporator should help, though the A/C systems in the older 240s were not very good to begin with. The later cars have a system much like that in the 700/900 series which works much better.

Reply to
James Sweet

Yes.

Reply to
James Sweet

Han,

I MIGHT have a spare Volvo OE booster fan (mounts behind the grill in front of the evaporator) for a 240 in my storage locker. If you are interested in it, let me know.

Spencer

Reply to
Captain Funn