Help '87 Volvo 740 Turbo terrible gas mileage only on highway or freeway ?

I have an '87 Volvo 740 Wagon which I dread getting on the freeway for. It seems like I'm getting 10 mpg on the freeway at speed limit of 65. I'm not even using the turbo. When the throttle TPS sensor became defective, it was like this, so I replaced it, but it's still using up a lot of gas.

Is it logical to think that because I'm giving it more acceleration, that more gas would be used? I don't smell fumes when driving or stopping. It's like 5-10mpg on the freeway!

I replaced the O2 sensor which was full of carbon and black, but it hasn't seemed to help. I replaced spark plugs and replaced the air filter. It's just ridiculous--I can see the guage going down little by little as I'm driving on the freeway. It's as if I can't go anywhere unless it's by street lights taking forever to get there, but at least I'm not using up so much gas.

Maybe the catalytic converter? I do hear something rattling sometimes when I'm driving, but I'm not sure if it's that or not. Any help, please!

Reply to
circuit slave

james, did you ever replace that wiring harness that was giving you so much trouble? perhaps something electronic controlling your fuel mixture and/or ratio is shot. I hope someone else will chime in, but you posted in February all of the problems you had with your wiring harness.

Jamie

circuit slave wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

No, not yet. I know, I know. I really need to get that fixed. On a side note, it does idle like it's cold (kinda shaking) when I'm at a stop. I'll look into that harness wiring. I just haven't been able to come across it recently at a decent price. I'll look into that.

I will say this, though, It hasn't died one me once yet : ) like it used to. I isolated the shorts which were causing it to die, at least.

Jamie wrote:

Reply to
circuit slave

Well replace or rebuild the wiring harness first, until you do that you're just chasing your tail.

Reply to
James Sweet

Contact Dave Barton. I can't tell you his prices at this very moment, but I know that there are times when he has harnesses for around $100-$130. Sometimes he has some in decent order that require minor repairs and he can sell these cheaper.

You can always e-mail him and ask to be put on a "waiting list" for a $100 harness.

Good luck.

circuit slave wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

A malfunctioning turbo caused poor milage on my daughter's Saab.

Reply to
hjsjms

Shaking at an idle could be from a lot of things, including a vacuum leak, bad valves, etc. You should really have the car looked at by someone with the proper diagnostic equipment rather than guessing and swapping out parts.

Reply to
hjsjms

You need to carefully check all the hoses running from the MAF to the intake manifold. One of them has a split or blow out on the bottom. Any air leak at all between the MAF and the intake manifold will cause the fuel injection to be very rich. As a side note if the green wire from the O2 sensor is horted to ground the system will go full rich.

Bob

Reply to
User

I'll check all hoses, thanks everyone. As far as having it looked at a Volvo mechanic or someone with experience and the equipment---I'll first invest in that wiring harness first---I know that is something that does NEED replacing. Thanks for all the replies, and suggestion, people ! : )

User wrote:

Reply to
circuit slave

I rebuilt my existing harness by splicing new wires into the old connectors and putting heatshrink tubing over everything. Took a lot of patience and I was freezing my butt off in January doing it but I had to get the car back on the road and it worked.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
circuit slave

Come on up to Northeast Texas - a cool 100 degrees. Thank goodness for low humidity and this drought. Dust held my old harness together for I think the last 6 months. I think in some places the wires rotted out and the electricity had to arc to make a connection.

Damn tough cars!

circuit slave wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

Yuck, we're pushing up into the high 70's here off and on, figure I'll have to start running the AC later this week.

Reply to
James Sweet

High 70's? We call that a "cold front." LOL

We're about to go > Jamie wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

Once when I lived in Phoenix my wife and I were doing a Cub Scout thing outdoors the first weekend in Spring... the temperature hit 101 degrees. Only four months there have not recorded 100 degrees: November through February. My wife and I married in the middle of the longest unbroken run of temperatures above 110F recorded there: 21 days. Most of those days were

115F and above.

I'm so glad to be in Flagstaff now, where the summer temperatures are flirting with 90 degrees in the hottest part of the day.

Mike, the reformed desert rat

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Reply to