Lights Permanatly on - V40

I have just bought a V40, and the headlights are permantly on, either theres a setting within the car ive not spotted (havent got a manual) or the dusk sensors bust

any one help me shed some light on this either way - and if its a dusk sensor bust, anyone have any experience of how much this cost, and what kind of job they are to replace

All the best

John

Reply to
John Bryan

Er, it's a Volvo !! Those lights are called day-running lights, and make you a lot more visible, even in bright sunshine. Basically, the dipped-beam headlights are intended to be permanently on whenever the ignition is on, unless you switch to parking lights. In the UK, it's an offence to drive with just parking lights on, so please don't do it.(rule 93, or RVLR regs 24,25) I know about 70% of other drivers do.

As far as I'm aware, Volvo have never fitted any kind of Dusk sensor. It's not a BMW you know !! (thank goodness!). There is a solar sensor, but this is used for telling the air conditioning when to allow for extra cooling in strong sunlight, so don't get confused. Anyway, there is often a way to disable the Day running lights, and in the V70/S70 range this was via a tiny screw in the bottom corner of the light switch. You just rotate it a couple of degrees for different lighting modes. All I can say is: Enjoy the safety features, and leave them operational.

Just for a laugh, my Haynes workshop manual for the S70/V70/C70 says that the screw in the corner if the light switch is for removing the switch!! NOT TRUE!!. It just goes to show that they don't dismantle, research, and re-build cars any more.

Cheers, and hope to help. Joe in Peterborough.

2000 V70 new shape, 2.5TDI 74,000 miles. Previous car: 1997 V70 old shape, 2.5 TDI. 250,000 miles.

Reply to
Joe landy

Joe, that was very helpful, im grateful to you for such an informative response.

I take what you say about the safety features, but I'll also probably have a bash at your screw turning theory, as Im fed up of the constant reminders from my fellow UK drivers that ive 'left' my lights on, as this is a unique feature to Volvo cars in the UK and every other car has manual or dusk sensing lights which do not operate in the daytime

thanks again Joe, appriciate your time and clearing everything up for me

John

Reply to
John Bryan

Joe, Ive just noticed your are in the UK too, sorry for talking to you like you dont :)

Reply to
John Bryan

Joe, Do you know of any good places to get (Reasonable Price) Volvo Spares in Peterborough?

Thanks

Reply to
Simon Taylor

Hi Simon. You can buy all parts from the likes of Millfield Autoparts and Eastfield Discount Autospares, brakes, callipers, filters, e.t.c, but I have to admit, I always use genuine parts when it comes to these types of spares. If you want secondhand parts from breakers yards, you need to go to Ilkeston, Derbyshire, or RJK in London, or perhaps Lea Valley Volvo spares. See Auto Trader for their full ads, or mail me directly at joelandymanpostmaster.co.uk I have bought parts like CD Players, Odd Alloy wheels (they inspect them before sale), and leather seats.

I have bought parts like CV gaitors (boots) from Millfields, and also Shock Absorbers (Monroe ones), but just be careful what you do buy. Cheap oil filters don't have the check-valve in them, and cheap (or mixed genuine-pattern) brake parts will squeal something chronic. Discs and pads are matched material wise, to prevent brake-squeal. Often, cheap parts which cost half as much only last half as long, or less, so choose carefully!

If you need help locally with V70 or S70 items, I have experience with these cars, all the required tools, and space to work. I have no problem helping to change suspension components, brake pads, engine oil or various electrical items. Just ask! I know it's not always much fun struggling to change bits on your own, and it gives you more motivation to get jobs done if you have some assistance. I am a diesel man, so don't ask for help with complex fault-finding on a petrol! Normal servicing is no problem though. Cheers for now & enjoy your driving. Joe. (South peterborough).

conditioning

Reply to
Joe landy