'98 V40 trip reset microswitch worn out

Greetings a.a.v

(This is a UK 1998 V40 - I am pretty confident a US or other V40(/old S40) would use the same switch)

The trip reset on my V40 has gradually become less responsive over time, I have had enough of pressing and wiggling it to make it do it's stuff and would like to replace the switch. It was very easy to remove the instrument cluster and I have looked far enough within to see that the trip reset is a microswitch of as yet unknown specification. It also looks a fairly easy job to replace it, but before I do it, I wonder if anyone here has experience of this little job, and perhaps knowledge of what microswitch to ask for at the electronics shop.

Anybody? All info gratefully received

Cheers

Reply to
Roger Hunt

If it can be made to physically fit, it will probably work. I would pull the old one and take it to a shop and see if they have something similar.

Do test it first though, in my experience microswitches rarely fail, but solder joint problems are common.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks for the reply. I found that the "switch" contained one of those conductive rubber buttons used in TV remotes, which are a little flimsy, and this one had worn out after years of regular use - both by me and quite likely the previous owner (Police). I replaced it with a (working) tactile micro-switch from a laptop motherboard and am about to test it out in the car ....

Reply to
Roger Hunt

Roger Hunt wrote

To follow up ... It all works, trip reset has a pleasant click to it now.

Reply to
Roger Hunt