More on 92 volvo 740.....

My brother said that when it had this dying/no restart problem intmt., that the car was using gas like his truck. Maybe an important clue. I did some tests on it. The first time I cranked the engine, it fired for 1-2 seconds but didn't quite catch. Then after that you could crank and crank, and not get any fire at all. I took the plugs out and they are cledan/like new, they weren't dripping with fuel, just slightly moist-looking. I suspect that when I let it sit for a day, and try cranking it, it will fire just like today initally, then nothing. There is fuel pressure in the rail for sure, and and a few months ago when it was not starting intmt. I checked for all plugs firing, and they were. Its got new cap, rotor, wires. I checked the codes. Its still 1-1-1. I did the additional fuel injector, idle air valve, coolant fan, fuel pump, etc. cycling check. and all checked OK. I could hear the fuel injectors being cycled by the computer. I put a noid light on each injector connector, and they are all pulsing when car is cranked. SO this makes me think that the computer is not the cause at all. The new crank pos sensor still LOOKs OK, connector is secure.

I guess I need to lift the rail up and see what the injectors are doing, if I can figure out how to do it.

Corpus Christi is not the place to be for a Volvo owner...there is (I found out) NO Volvo dealer in CC any longer, and so no authorized Volvo service. SO If I have to take it in to some other garage, they may not be any more capable of working on the car than the garage my brother took it to, which couldn't get it running. This mechanic timed my Camry OK, and is very good at that, so I don't think he could have overlooked that.

Ideas?

Reply to
geronimo