O2 Sensor for HOW MUCH???

Well the generic Bosch O2 sensor was purchased and modified as described (it came with a little metal tube for crimping purposes and that made a good platform for soldering) and installed. The old one was pretty hard to get at being on the underside of the exhaust manifold and crowded by the oil filter and many lines and hoses. Eventually we had to chisel off the bottom of the old sensor to fit a

22mm socket over it.

We also bored-out the catalyhtic converter as it was plugged and restricting the airflow (and, therefore, efficacy) of the turbo. At first there were big puffs of dark grey smoke when the boost engaged but this has settled down... a CO test/adjustment has been recommended but we'll see how she behaves for a week. The turbo screams like a beast trapped under the hood and the car has power once again...it was a gradual decline until one day we realized that we had trouble getting her over 100km/h.

Thanks all for your ideas (good general soldering tips too!). Blurp

Reply to
blurp

Oh yeah, the sensor was $65 and the labor ended up being $30 (all CAD) and all work done at Pipes Performance.

$275 indeed. HArumph!

:) blurp

Reply to
blurp

Hi all,

Is there a generic Oxygen Sensor that will allow me to avoid using he official Volvo part? I just called the dealership to price the O2 sensor for my 1983 240 Turbo and they want a whopping $275CAD for it! I checked the pricing on DVWImports and they listed two sensors for my car at

BOSCH 1-Wire/Direct-Fit: 240/B21FT Turbo 81-84 $218.57 BOSCH O2 SENSOR UNIVERSAL 1-WIRE $36.90

There's obviously quite a difference in price so I'm assuming the generic one can be modified to fit OR combined somehow with the old sensor to re-use the old housing or something.

Any suggestions? I remember seeing a website demonstrating how to convert one's O2 sensor to the 1-wire type but both of these appear to be of that type.

Thanks all, blurp

Reply to
blurp

You are paying for the connector and some extra wire on the Volvo specific part.

Get the generic single wire, cut the wire to your existing bad one long enough so you can solder the new one to the wire leading to the computer.

The electrical connection must be without extra resistance so solder the connection instead of crimping the connection which will deteriorate over time and increase the resistence of the connection which will confuse the computer with incorrect voltage swings. Be sure to shrink tube the connection for moisture resistance.

Duane

Reply to
Duane Hoberg

Thanks Duane! I'll get on it immediately.

Cheers, Blurp

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 12:15:10 -0500, the illustrious "Duane Hoberg" favored us with the following prose:

Reply to
blurp

TIP: A very secure and waterproof connection can also be made simply by joining two wires together, wrapping the join with electrician's tape to a thickness of about a 1/4 inch and then coating it with a good layer of PVC pipe glue (the clear stuff.) Let it set till it hardens and you have a connection that's good for the life of the "appliance."

Reply to
Johnathan A.

And for those that are not good at soldering (like me), you can get solder connectors at hobby stores, they look like the plastic butt connectors except they are usually a clear silicone tube that has a ring of solder in the middle. You push your wires into the center and use a heatgun or even a lighter to melt the solder in the center of the connector which makes a soldered connection between the two wires, and then use the heat source to finish shrinkwrapping the original connector to the wires. Makes it water tight and a good connection without the need for learning how to solder with a gun and solder.

Reply to
GamePlayer No. 1058

Which, the boring-out of the cat for more power or the substitution of a generic O2 sensor for the prescribed part?

Reply to
blurp

Would this also work for a 94' 850 turbo???

Reply to
King

If you need some instruction on basic soldering, try my tutorial. It was written specifically for those who have never soldered before:

For connections that need to be corrosion-free, solder and use heat shrink, but smear the connection with silicone grease before shrinking.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvo '93 960 Estate

"GamePlayer No. 1058" wrote:

Reply to
Randy G.

the substitution of a generic O2 sensor.... I was told that the 850 turbo has two....$$$

Reply to
King

Ya got me there. The few parts lists and dealers I check up on don't have the O2 sensor listed for the 850.

Reply to
blurp