02 primary sensor (honda civic 98)

Hi there!

I was wondering if I could get a better deal than from the dealership for this part... I was quoted 215$! I know that OEM for this part is essential because the fuel consumption will be very noticeable if I don't.... anyone have tips?

Thanks,

Jason

Reply to
Jason

I've had success with the Bosch generic replacement for O2 sensors. The downside is that you have to cut the connector from the old sensor and splice it to the new one. The replacements I've used come with the splices, and are available at major parts chain stores (BAP, NAPA). Look at yours and count the wires to ensure you get the right type.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

---------------------------

Is your mileage very high, and how do you know that you need an O2 sensor? Just wondering because it's often misdiagnosed (and expensive).

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

About the only difference between the OEM and generic sensor is the connector. You will get a check engine light long before you will notice a increase in fuel usage. If you are using too much fuel it will make the sensor look bad but the cause is not the sensor and it will burn out the converter. Proper diagnosis is needed, not parts guessing....

Reply to
Woody

Right now, I have the one, black and green wires on the o2 sensor. I have the Bosch and it's not helping my fuel consumption! So you are saying I should have kept the connector (grey) and the wires? I guess I will have to buy the OEM part now?

Jason

Reply to
Jason

Haynes indicates the Civic takes a 4 wire sensor, except in the HX version which takes a seven wire sensor. The 4 wire version is probably available in a Bosch generic, but the seven wire is probably too rare to appear in a generic. Yes, to use the generic you have to have the connector off an old one of the right type, even if it is one from a wrecking yard.

Your clearest way forward at this point (if you don't have the old one) may be to bite the bullet and get the Honda sensor.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Maybe you should still ask yourself the question . . Why do I think I need a new 02 sensor (if it's not helping)? Who told you it was shot?

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _