Oil/grease coating inside of front wheel on 850

Hello All:

Looks like I have yet ANOTHER problem to deal with on my 850 Volv-Lemon-o. Today as I was changing oil I noticed that the inside surface of the passenger side front wheel was coated with thick mix of oil/grease and dirt. I can't tell exactly where its coming from but my guess is the CV joint. Any suggestions as to how to tell exactly? Anybody want to speculate on what's wrong with it (today)?

Thanks,

Jim '96 850 Turbo Wagon with a new automatic transmission, a new air conditioning compressor, a new cooling fan/motor, new hatch struts, new window switch, new door hinge spring.... and counting.

Reply to
Jim Martin

It sounds like the CV Boot has ripped & is letting grease out of the joint

Reply to
G Klein

CV Boot replacement is almost routine maintenance on any front wheel drive car. I've had them go bad on a Toyota, Nissan, Ford, and of course a Volvo (I've even had this done on my Miata which is rear wheel drive). Get it fixed as soon as possible since dirt getting in the CV joint will result in it having to be replaced at a much greater expense.

Gus

Reply to
Gus

It could be grease from the steering stop on the lower A-arm, and not really a problem at all. Or it could be the CV joint, but it should be easy to see a torn boot. Have the brakes been bled lately and fluid dripped on the wheel?

Reply to
Jeff Lesperance