Poof of Exhaust smoke

I was driving my '86 240 up a bill hill on the highway yesterday and heard a few quiet knock and then noticed a one big poof of dark grey, dirty smoke come out of the exhaust. I drove it about another half hour back home on the highway and it didn't poof again. Any thoughts? It's got abotu 200,000 miles on it. I haven't had any engine work on it lately--just other things. It sat undriven for about 3 mos this summer but I've been driving it regularly around town for the past 2 months. Any suggestions? Thanks, Jan

Reply to
arearep

Sounds like an 'Italian tuneup' Run it hard up a hill and the pinging knocks the carbon off the combustion chamber resulting in the cloud of gray smoke. Back in the '70's, the muscle car guys called it "kicking in the afterburners" 'cause after cruising around all day lots of carbon built up in the valves and heads. Then you ran it hard off a light and it left a trail of gray like an F4 on burners.

Reply to
clay