Smoke Coming Out Of Distributer (long post)

OK, here's one that's totally stumping me...I'm driving the other day, in the rain, and my '90 Acura Legend gives a slight pop from the engine compartment and then stalls out. I pull over to the side of the road, open the hood and see some smoke coming from around the distributer. Couldn't really tell if it was actually smoke or steam from water hitting it (remember it was raining). Got back into the car, wouldn't start. Smelled an electrical type smell coming thru the vents. Waited 15 minutes, car stumbled but did start. Idled very smooth for 10-15 seconds then crapped out again. Opened hood and, again, saw smoke coming from the dist. Towed it to my mechanic, he let it sit overnight called me today said he drove it around and nothing- no problems at all...btw, its still raining today, in case you think it might be rain-related. Anyone have any ideas on this one? This might be unrelated, but lately every time I take a hard left turn, you get a strong fresh oil burning smell and a little smoke (oil, not electrical) from the engine bay. Its like the oil is sloshing and hitting something hot then quickly burning off. I'm at a loss, here guys! Jay

Reply to
bajazza

Mike Walsh

The distributor is on the left side of the front head, directly connected to the end of the camshaft. Did anybody bother to take off the cap to see if the seals or o-rings had failed, letting oil leak into the distributor body?

Reply to
MasterBlaster