Power steering fluid reservoir Q - '03 V70 turbo

My power steering has been squealing on left turns for about a week and has slow return to center after executing left turns. Reservoir reads as FULL when checked, cold or hot. The reservoir exterior is stained with fluid and some embedded crystals. No drips on the driveway so the problem is either minor (hah!) or new enough that the leak hasn't made it to ground yet.

I cannot pinpoint the source of the leak to any of the hose fittings or to the filler opening so my money is on the pump - and that'll be a warranty item for the dealer to deal with.

Full reservoir plus leak seems to indicate overfilled PS system, which I find unlikely; the best indy Volvo shop in town did the last recommended maintenance and I'm sure they know better than to add fluid when none is needed. Squealing on turns plus slow returns suggests the pump is at fault.

Does this seem likelier to be a PS pump problem, or a hose problem? Short of the pump going out altogether what's the worst-case event if I keep driving it until the dealer has time for it more than a week hence (I'm still under warranty)?

(Yes, I need to buy the service manual!)

Reply to
Wooly

Most likely the suction hose from the reservoir to the pump is leaking common problem & complaint if the your dealers service department is good they will be able to correct your power steering leak G Klein Volvo Certified Technician ASE Certified Technician

Reply to
Glenn Klein