RKI: how to change out fresh air filter in 2003 XC70n dashboard?

For a $17.95 air filter, the local dealer is asking $109 plus tax to replace the fresh air filter in my 2003 cross-country.

I told them to kiss off; that I had had enough of their inflated prices and poor service (remind me to tell you about the wrong antenna wiring harness the factory installed in my car sometime and the 8 months of hell the local DARCARS dealership has put me through and how another dealer/tech saw the problem right away) and would do it myself.

Now the question is, is there an EASY way to do this? I've delivered babies and first assisted in surgeries, and built my own airplane, but without directions, this task is a little daunting at first glance.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Norm Balog

Hello!

The cabin filter is very easy to replace at least on older s/v70's. Below is a link. Takes about 5 min. Mind boggling that they take $100+ to do it!

  • Also loosen the drain hose under screw no 2. Its much easier to get your hand in if you do.
  • Buy a carbon replacent filter. Works better than Volvo stock.

/Patrix, Sweden

Reply to
Patrik
[Patrik] (15 Oct 2003 04:23:47 -0700):

How good are carbon filters with moisture?

Got a lot of dew on the windows, even though I have ECC. Other tricks to get rid of the dew?

(not sure if dew is the right word here, but I think you understand me :)

Reply to
Svein Tore Sølvik

You mean condenstaion/fog on the inside of the windows?

My old filter was extremley clogged. Like a very used vaccum bag. When I replaced it with the carbon filter I hardly smell anything from trucks and old cars anymore. It's an amazing difference. I sometimes had problems with fog before, but not anymore. This is most likely because my old filter was so totally clogged that it restricted airflow to the defogger, and not because a carbon filter is so much better in that aspect. The filter is to small to take care of any moist i think. But active carbon filters pick up small particles and diesel exhaust fumes better, and reduces smell more.

Moist/condesation is often a sign of water leaking in somewhere. Check behind the door panels, the luggage compartment and kickpanels for moist. At the base of the rear window there are sometimes leaks. Check that all drainpipes are clean. Find that leak and seal it! ;-) /Patrik

Reply to
Patrik

On the 2003 Car the cabin filter is under the passenger side of the US market remove the trim 2 torx 25 screws then you will see a white box with a black plastic cover on the bottom this cover is held in by 4 Torx 25 screws remove the screws & cover remove your filter on the XC70 it most likely has the larger filter installed remove filter install new filter reassemble all removed parts job done Glenn

Reply to
G Klein
[Patrik] (16 Oct 2003 07:40:50 -0700):

Where are the drainpipes? Any websites that describe them?

Thanks :)

Reply to
Svein Tore Sølvik

You have the drainpipes in front of the windshield. Pour some water over the windshield and check that it flows freely down the drainpipes. Leaves and stuff often clogs them. The drainholes are att the bottom of the doors and at the trunk below the rear window. If any of these are clogged, moist and rust builds up and eventually the water gets into your car instead of going trough the drains! Not good...

/Patrik

Reply to
Patrik