S60 sunroof shattered

The sunroof on my '01 S60 shattered for no apparent reason - it was parked outside with the roof open and when I came out the inside was nothing but a mess of glass. It is unlikely that it's vandalism as it was parked off the street in an area with no pedestrians (or assorted riff-raff). I vaguely remember a previous thread touching on this but a Google search turned up nothing.

The car's still under warranty - do you think I have a chance getting covered under that?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Rob

Reply to
Robert MacTurk

Warranty - maybe. More likely insurance if you have coverage for it.

I have had a window explode spontaneously - and my neighbors have had a couple, including a rear window - when the window was facing west at sunset. Apparently the tempered glass can decide not to stand it any more and the cooling was just too much for it.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Hi, Rob - - -

This was never raised to the status of "Recall," but is a known problem. I'd go to my friendly Volvo Dealer with every expectation of free replacement. The internal stress in tempered glass is fantastic, so it's likely surprising that more windows don't just give up and blow out.

bob noble Reno, NV, USA

Reply to
Bob Noble

check this out