S80 2000 intermittently poor engine performance

My 2000 S80 at 44k miles has developed intermittently poor engine performance. I've had the car to the dealer twice and it apparently runs ok and shows no diagnostic faults. The car stumbles and accelerates poorly at part throttle... to me its reminiscent of a defective mechanical vacuum advance ignition (which this car doesn't have). This problem more typically manifests itself when its completely warmed up... Usually after a full stop in traffic and then accelerating away from the stop the engine just doesn't respond well or appropriately to the throttle depression. Anyone else experience this symptom?

Thanks Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

did the dealer do the throttle body "fix" yet ?

Stuart wrote:

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

In Volvo Land it's one of 2 things:

  1. The throttle body - which Volvo admits is defective, but will first waste your time by "cleaning it", because sometimes that works - temporarily (hoping you'll go out of warranty) and then they'll replace it. I know. Got jerked around by the Ford clones/clowns on this item.

or

  1. The air mass assembly on the intake - if this item is defective, it's a throw-away.

Reply to
MJT

Most of the time the cleaning & the ETM software upgrade will solve the problem if it does not you will find out very soon after the above is done usually the ETM will fail in less then 2 week's after the 1st steps were done then Volvo replaces the ETM @ no charge to you Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Glenn~

My records show the that the ETM (electr>> In Volvo Land it's one of 2 things:

Reply to
Stuart

step 1 is to have the software updated, if problems continue, dealer must replace unit...this good up to

200,000 miles on s80's...as i understant it.....

Stuart wrote:

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Glenn~ I double checked my records... apprently only the MAF sensor was replaced and not the ETM. Seems like the ETM has caused other S80 folks lots of problems....Is there anyway I can get the dealer to replace the ETM even when it seems to run ok when I take the car in?

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

First go to the dealer and register a complaint. They will sell you a throttle clean, PCV system clean, and reflash the the engine control module under warranty.

If anything this will make the car run worse.

Then return and they will replace the ETM under the extended warrasnty policy.

Bob

Reply to
User