Safety concern 850 wagon?

Just found out from my mechanic that my 850 wagon's rear bushings need replacing. Apparently they are badly seized and require manual chiseling out. Long job and cost $800 +

Just wondering: are there any safety concerns having bad bushings or is it only comfort / noise issue?

Am I OK to wait with the repairs till spring?

1996 850 Wagon

Thanks!!!

Reply to
4 volvos

Depends on the suspension geometry, the bushings on my 740 are shot and the car tows dangerously to one side under hard braking and pushes to the other side under hard acceleration, definitly something I need to fix soon. On other cars it'll just make clunking sounds and can cause tires to wear unevenly. Either way you'll want to replace them eventually, though $800 sounds like an awful lot of money for the job.

Reply to
James Sweet

If these are the bushings I'm thinking they are, they're over $200! each, and are a real pain to change. The rear suspension can move out of alignment several degrees when these are bad, and as a result you'll get some random rear wheel steering (unsafe) and it'll eat rear tires. So you pretty well need to do this ASAP.

Reply to
Mike F