Seeking radiator for '72 145..

Well, most of the work on my 145 is finally done, but the radiator needs replacement. Anybody know where I can get a new one or an alternative that will drop in? No AC to worry about.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

They seem to be rather scarce. Have yours recored, install a new cap (save the brass shim) and install a new seal. Should be good for many thousand miles.

Bob

Reply to
User

Hello Gary:

Glad to hear about the 145. Is this a car you have been restoring?

You don't mention in your post where you live (important for someone to help you on parts) and what your budget is.

Hmmm..and what year is the beast? If it's 1967 to 1970 you are in luck.

IPD has a rad and while pricey at $375 US will do the job.

Here's a link:

71&NodeIDU23&RootIDb9I'd recommend exactly what the other poster said in his reply: take itto a local rad shop and have it boiled out and recored. Unless the car has been in the Northeast or an area with a lot of salt on the roads in winter (which can turn the fins into powder) it should be easily repaired.

Look for a shop in your area (Alabama?) that rebuilds rads as their only business. We have such a shop here and they generally rebuild rads on big trucks etc but also do car rads.

I had then do one for me on my 1800 about 12 yrs ago and it was $25--but am sure it's much more now.

If the rad is in otherwise decent shape and you can't find anyone locally I'll give you the particulars on contacting them but would need a good pic of the rad first.

If nothing else works, find a good shop that does rads for race cars etc. I do know around here I could have one custom fabricated for less than the $375 IPD is asking--but only by 50 to $75.

Cheerio,

Doc

Reply to
doc

Catching up on a lot of maintenance, along with getting the valve problem fixed. After 34 years, a lot of things wear out.

North Alabama. I'm not tight on money, but prefer reasonable prices.

Never in luck; it's a '72. Apparently they started transitioning between the 140 series and the 240 series about then (the '73 had the 240-style blower fan, for example), so there seems to be a gap in parts availibility.

That's more than I paid for the car initially... :-)

I'll suggest that to the shop next time I talk to them.

It was originally purchased in Germany, then went to New Mexico, and ended up in north Alabama. Didn't completely eliminate rust problems, but they aren't too bad. As far as I know, it hasn't been in the north.

Cheap at twice the price. With the head swap, steering box, distributor, exhaust, and whatever else I was having done, even another $100 wouldn't be a problem.

I'll keep that in mind.

Yes, mention "racing" and the price triples...

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

I, uh, persuaded a 240 rad to fit in my '74 one time. The 140 fan shroud didn't work, and just so you know the fan shroud is very important to getting enough airflow through the rad (at idle or when driving).

Reply to
Jim Carriere

How about an aftermarket electric fan?

Reply to
James Sweet

I'm not sure how much difference there would be between the '72 and '74. Hopefully not a lot, but no telling.

Would a 240 shroud have fit? Maybe some creative mounting brackets for the 140 shroud?

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

You're probably on your own getting a 240 shroud to fit. There is a lot more distance between the rad and engine on the 240 than the 140.

I should stress the part about airflow when driving. When I put that radiator in my old car and found the fan shroud (140) didn't readily attach to the rad, I left it off but found the car would run warm at highway speeds in the summer. It would cool off and run at the right temp going down hills, but get pretty warm uphill. I had figured there's be enough air just blowing through there at speed, but I was wrong.

Reply to
Jim Carriere

That would work, but it would run quite a bit. The car ran warm idling and on the highway. I didn't keep it long after that anyway, so I didn't get around to trying to fit an electric fan.

Reply to
Jim Carriere

An intercooled 240 Turbo shroud might work, they're much more shallow.

Reply to
James Sweet