steering difficulties-'88 240

"viktor weisshaeupl" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:ddkjtn$5ek$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader1.utanet.at...

It was the joint, too, in my car, The mechanic took out the joint and it was the culprit. Unfortunately it could not be made easy-going by spraying and lubricating any more. The spare part costs 136 Euros has to be ordered from Sweden, not available in a residential area whith about 1,6 million people.

I have a little suspicion, what might be the reason for this my problem. About 3 years ago on a holiday trip I found one day that the little lid over the towing hook on the left side in in the front spoiler was missing. I did not bother to buy a new one, could not get a white one on the local Volvo junk yard. Since I have also found that the bottom left aluminum part of the cooler shows sings of corrosion and one of the clamps is almost broken, I have got the idea that water droplets getting in through the hole in the spoiler on the left side over several years has maybe damaged the joint and the cooler as well. Maybe far fetched....But I will go and get a lid in whatever colour after having the joint replace.

Viktor

Reply to
viktor weisshaeupl

Hi! In this continuing saga - have not disconnected catalytic but did the tune-up thing, and new fuel filter, wires, plugs, etc just to cover all bases. Also found a couple of severed lines going to charcoal canister. Still was running erratically and hard starting when cold. Voltage at O2 sensor just 10 millivolts! Did run better when it was plugged in , though. So, still a lean condition. And then, after disconnecting and reconnecting vacuum line to Fuel pressure regulator, took a break. Went back out to see if Exh. manifold had test port as some do - found none, started it up and it is running perfect - have driven it 20 miles now and no hint of original problem (other than I still dont know if it will pass Echeck). Wonder if fuel press. reg. was stuck, or ? Hopefully this gremlin is dead! thanx for all help, bob

Reply to
ignatz

Vac leaks have a cumulative effect, and so if messing with the regulator's line helped a little I would suggest checking all the lines. Pull and replace them. If you find any that are cracked at the ends or come off easily, either cut a bit off the end for a tighter fit or replace them as applicable.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Just found that when I took out fuse for in-tank pump- no difference in performance! With a full tank, it also runs better- must be the pump! Will have to get that crazy tool to get that thing loose, but I think thats the problem with lean running condition. Thanx for all the help! bob

Reply to
ignatz

To check for in-tank pump failure: 1) In sedan lift carpet in trunk, expose wiring towards left of trunk, disconnect fuel level/pump connector. 2) Check brown ground wire for good connection to body. Measure resistance to ground on black wire to pump. Should read around 1 to 2 Ohms. If open circuit, then pump has failed. 3) In wagon, remove two screws holding cargo floor down, lift and proceed as in 2).

For details on how to remove/replace in-tank pump, refer to section "3.1 Fuel injection system" at

don't need a special tool to remove the pump if it is bad. Two 12 inch flat screw drivers or bars and some wooden blocks will do fine, but beware of sparks. If you are handy with a welding kit, you can make your own tool. In-tank pump removal/replacement is not trivial because of the location. Took me a whole day working carefully. FCP Groton is a good source for this part if you live in the USA. / JCH

Reply to
jch

Thanx for the info - the pump did indeed read open circuit - ordered from IPD and sprung for the $24 bung nut tool as well. Did not pass echeck for second time - NO lower but still not low enough - hoping this repair will do the trick! bob

Reply to
ignatz

Volvo finally did pass echeck and running well 90% of the time. Still, about once a week and usually when starting off from a stop, car will start running badly ,like running on two cylinders. takes a minute or two before it comes out of this funk! I have also replaced the fuel pressure regulator, back pump, fuel filter, tune up parts. Some days it doesnt act up at all. Wonder now if intermittent in the computer module on firewall? Any help, as always is appreciated! bob d. (ignatz)

Reply to
ignatz