Stupid 740 Q's

Hello,

Got my ' 87 740 Turbo Wagon about a week ago. Nice car, runs well, about 260k on the body and 150k on the motor that came out of a smash up. Cool!

So the tach doesn't work nor the temp gauge, so I figure they forgot to hook them back up. After Googling around I found out about the temp gauge connector being under the manifold, good enough - and the under dash part of the tach, but why would they go there? What does a guy look for under the hood. The info was conflicting about what unconnected thingy I'm after. There aren't any loose connectors that would go to the coil that I could see.. Any thoughts?

And the tragic part, the power antenna, got the rest of the stereo hooked up, no Volvo amp. Found a couple of bit of info about what's what and it's right. So the power antenna wire from the stereo goes to a red wire on the car. That's there, but the red wire comes off the car side to another connector and goes to nothing. Couldn't find what may mate up to it under there anywhere. More digging perhaps?

I read alot about wire rot under the hood on this vintage, maybe I'm lucky as I didn't see anything like that, should I spray the wires with silicon or something similar?

Best, Barry

Reply to
Barry Duquette

sorry blurp - you are probably hearing the turbo boost and not the vacuum. I think the cruise problem is electric, at least on the newer models it is, ask someone local to show you what the one way vacuum valves look like and replace the faulty ones. When you accelerate - there is no vacuum with a turbo. That is the reason for the one way valves, they keep vacuum in the system when the turbo is in the boost mode. Should be a $10.00 fix.

Reply to
HankL

Reply to
John Robertson