Vacuum Gauge (Fuel Economy) install...

1991 Volvo 240 Sedan, b230, 2.4 LH about 115k miles.

I've got my hands on a OEM Volvo Vacuum (fuel economy) Gauge made by VDO. It has the following connections on the backside of the gauge:

1) Two electrical connections for the illumination.

2) A nipple of sorts which is to be connected to a tube, a vacuum tube I guess (There is a snippet of tubing on the nipple and when I suck on the tube the needle on the gauge moves).

I have a question about the second connection mentioned above. Would anyone happen to know where the tube is to be connected. Is there a predetermined place on the manifold/engine, or is a t-fitting needed to tap into an exsisting vacuum line? Any help would be most appreciated.

Actually while I'm here I might as well ask about the effectivness of this gauge. Do they actually work? Are they reliable?

Reply to
Your Name

That connects to any fitting on the engine side of the throttle, which often requires a tee connector. Look in the "HELP" accessories section in many auto parts stores.

They do work well to show you the manifold vacuum, which roughly translates to economy.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Probably the cleanest option is to install a nipple in the intake manifold into the plugged off port used by the boost guage and overboost cutout on turbo cars, you could also tee into the vacuum line to the ventilation controls *before* the checkvalve or if the car has cruise control that will connect too.

Reply to
James Sweet