Volvo 240 DL cutting out

My '87 Volvo 240 DL wagon has developed an annoying habit of cutting out while I'm driving. After a minute's rest, it starts up again, but that's not much help when it dies on the interstate. Any clues as to what might be the problem?

Thanks

Steve snipped-for-privacy@cs.unc.edu

Reply to
Steve Weiss

Does it have a fuel; pump relay?

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

Hi Steve - I went through the same thing a couple of months ago with my

1984 240 2 dr with 159,000 miles. In my case it died on the highway several times and also after going over a speed bump ( this happened twice). It was the fuel pump. One was working barely and the other was not working at all. Had the system redone with new relays, fuel pumps etc. and it runs fine now. Labor was cheap and parts pretty pricey. Fortunately this problem began a month after a trip of 900 miles below the border into Mexico. Might have been a major problem if it had happened down there as I never saw any Volvo cars below the border.

Good luck,

Dave

--

*********************************************************** Dave N7RK Home Page:
Arizona *DXCC Honor Roll* *WAZ#23 - 75 Meter SSB* ex-XE2/N7RK, N7RK/ZB2, VK2ERK, ZM0AJN, WB6NRK, WN6IWX

Boatanchor and Antique Radio Collector Extraordinaire preferring Hallicrafters, National and what ever else looks interesting!

Reply to
Dave Hollander

Check the fuel pump relay, fuse panel, and the fuse under the hood on the inner fender wall on the driver's side. The relay is my first suspect though, it's under the dash on the passenger side usually tucked under the edge of the carpet. Solder joints crack in these sometimes.

Reply to
James Sweet

I'd agree with the Fuel pump relay/Fuel pump crowd, but also add in that it also sounds like symptoms of a Hall Effect sensor going or a bad wiring harness.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Bradley

Try cleaning the FI fuse (left inner fenderwell) and fuse holder contacts first. Cheapest and easiest thing to do, and it just might solve your problem without having to dick around with the relay and/or pumps. Use plenty of contact cleaner and use wet-or-dry paper to buff the fuse contacts to a nice shine. If it fixes your problem consider regular cleaning a maintenence item or replace the holder with a weatherproof one like the one offered by ipd.

Cheers, Lyle

Reply to
Lyle Beaulac