Volvo 850 (96) Ride Height or Ground Clearance

I'm trying to find the proper ride height or ground clearance value for a

1996 Volvo 850 Sedan. Each wheel well measurement to the ground differs and the back end appears to be sagging a bit. I'm trying to determine if new coil springs are going to make a difference ... the main reason is that we tow a 10ft camping trailer with it and the back end lowers substantially when we are hooked up. Volvo Canada didn't know the factory ride height value ... they could only tell me the hieght of the car at the centre point. Also, I checked Haynes and the Internet and all I could come up with is a possible ground clearance between 6.1 inches and 6.7 inches ... I need a more accurate number.

Also, has anyone ever put in a self-leveling suspension on a Volvo 850? If so, what brand and are they available in Canada.

thanks.

Reply to
Jimbo

I can tell you on my '98 V70, as it sits in the parking lot, the peak of the front wheel openings are 25.75" off the ground, and the rear 25" exactly.

Self levelling suspension was an option when I bought the car (Nivomats), but as I knew the reputation ($) of Nivomats, I took a pass.

Reply to
Mike F

Hi,

I did the same as Mike F. and measured my '96 850 sedan for you. The rear RHS is 24.5" the front RHS 25.5", the rear LHS 25.25" and the front LHS 25". Measure from the ground to the highest point in the wheel arches. The metal not the plastic inserts. The fuel tank is near full and the load in the boot is mimimal. The car has the Pirelli P6000 195/60 tyres which are the standard size recommended. The car has not been used for towing.

Regards Barry

Reply to
Barry Leslie

Reply to