960 AC blower fan cutting off on acceleration- revisited

Well, I finally got to fixing the HVAC problem I inherited when I bought the

960 earlier this year. The AC/heater blower would quit blowing out the dash vents on acceleration. Thanks to the tip by MikeF, I found a double-acting floor/dash vacuum servo unit that was leaking. On acceleration, the reduced vacuum and vacuum leak would allow the dash vent flap to close, directing the air to the floor or defroster but away from the dash vents. Annoying to say the least.

Found a really good procedure outlined on the Brickboard with some nice tips although if anyone else does this, I have some other suggestions to make life easier. This is one of the more miserable repairs I have done to the

960- just plain no fun and requires disemboweling much of the under dash area. I'm sorry now that I didn't first just block off the vacuum line to the bad servo side just to see how bad the effect would be. This can be done in a short period of time by removing the glove box insert to gain access to the HVAC vacuum distribution control unit.

To add insult to injury, I replace a number of burned out bulbs for switches and accessories. Some of the bulbs have special plastic bases and seemed to be available only through Volvo at $10.50 a pop. I didn't try other sources since I wanted to get in and out of there quickly.

Anyhow, I lost a little enthusiasm for an otherwise nice car due to the vacuum servo and bulbs. End of rant. Thanks for listening.

ChuckB

95 965
Reply to
news.verizon.net