Volvo 850 Heated Seat Recall

Yea they are replacing most of the components of the heated seat system including the wiring harness. Just take it in, it won't cost a dime and if your lucky like me, you'll be back in the heated seat business!

FWIW

Reply to
Henry

So today I received a notice recalling my 1996 850R for the seat warmer. Apparently it may be too hot and might malfunction. No kidding -- it hasn't been functional for about 5 years now (along with literally about 10 other things, but that's another story for another time). But I was notified that the recall might not fix my seat warmer if it's not working right now.

Any tips on how to get them to fix the seat warmers during this recall?

Reply to
JW

What years does the recall apply to? I have a '95 850 wagon with heated seats that don't work.

Gus

Reply to
Gus
[JW] (Tue, 20 Jan 2004 21:23:53 -0500):

Hi, any more info on years, models of the 850 that is affected?

Reply to
Svein Tore Sølvik

Reply to
G Klein

Interesting.

So let me get this straight... if the heat mechanism has already blown -- probably because of the defect that they are recalling them for -- they won't replace it but if the heat mechanism has not already blown yet but might blow because of the defect they will replace them.

Makes complete sense to me. Yet another reason I will never buy another Volvo.

Reply to
JW

I looked on my recall letter and it says 1996 and 1997 850 sedans and wagons.

Reply to
JW

You're SOL. Applies to 1996 and 1997 sedans and wagons.

Reply to
JW

So yours didn't work, you took it in, and they fixed it?

Reply to
JW
[JW] (Wed, 21 Jan 2004 08:52:35 -0500):

Found the recall on

I'll talk to mye garage :)

Reply to
Svein Tore Sølvik

Hi Guys,

A couple of points regarding the recall... firstly is it a worldwide recall? I'm assuming it is... if so, my dad's got an 850 Estate which was registered in the UK in January 1996 - Chances are it was manufactured shortly before registration. Is it likely it's included in the recall? I'll probably just take it in and see what they say though. Drivers side hasn't worked in years - shame it sounds like that won't change though!

Mark

Reply to
Mark Seeley
[Mark Seeley] (Thu, 22 Jan 2004 00:09:34 -0000):

My August-95-registered 850 is a '96-model.. So yes, your dads car is probably a 96 :)

Dunno if its worldwide, but I guess so..

Reply to
Svein Tore Sølvik

From what I understand this recall involves melting connectors that are external to, but located under the seat. So if your heater has failed because of melting of these connectors, then the recall will fix the heat. If the heater has failed because of heater pad failure (more common, I think), then the recall will not fix it.

Reply to