volvo corp puts profits over safety >> more ETM problems

what can volvo corp be thinking? don't they realize what their whole corp "vision" is based upon??.....

-----------------snip----------------------------

"I'm writing this to ask any and everyone that has experienced an ETM (electronic throttle module) failure report it to the NHTSA as a complaint so that Volvo can be forced to recall/repair these dangerous vehicles. Just search on the NHTSA website and log in a complaint with the description "Vehicle Speed Control" so that it will be considered in the current NHTSA investigation PE05041. Please hurry as complaints will probably be taken only until Volvo submits its response due 15 September 2005."

If you have not filed a complaint with NHTSA please honor the request and do so immediately. The following was the complaint filed with NHTSA.

Don Willson

Make : VOLVO Model : V70XC Year : 2001 Manufacturer : VOLVO CARS OF N.A. LLC. Crash : Yes Fire : No Number of Injuries: 1 ODI ID Number : 10134909 Number of Deaths: 1 Date of Failure: July 18, 2005 VIN : YV1SZ58D811... Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL Summary:

MY DAUGHTER WAS KILLED WHILE DRIVING MY VOLVO WHEN IT MALFUNCTIONED AND SHE LOST CONTROL. PER THE ACCIDENT REPORT, SHE WAS CHANGING LANES FROM THE FAR RIGHT TO MIDDLE LANE WHEN SHE ACCELERATED INTO THE LEFTMOST LANE, HIT AND BOUNDED OFF THE LEFMOST GUARDRAIL, COLLIDED WITH A CAR IN THE CENTER LANE, PROCEEDED OVER THE RIGHTMOST GUARDRAIL OF A BRIDGE, THROUGH A TREETOP, DROPPED 30 FEET, LANDED UPSIDE DOWN, AND ROLLED REPEATEDLY, EVENTUALLY STOPPING IN A CONCRETE CREEKBANK. SHE WAS WEARING HER SEATBELT BUT KILLED INSTANTLY UPON IMPACT. IT APPEARS SHE WAS NOT SPEEDING SIGNIFICANTLY PRIOR TO THE ACCIDENT BUT UNEXPECTEDLY BEGAN ACCELERATING AS SHE WAS CHANGING LANES AND LOST CONTROL OF THE VEHICLE. I HAVE HAD SIMILAR PROBLEMS WITH THE CAR PREVIOUSLY BUT BELIEVED THEY HAD BEEN CORRECTED BY VOLVO WHEN THEY REPLACED THE ELECTRONIC THROTTLE MODULE. THERE WERE NO OTHER CONTRIBUTING FACTORS IN THE ACCIDENT -- WEATHER WAS CLEAR, VISIBILITY WAS GOOD, ROADS WERE DRY, TRAFFIC WAS MODERATE AND FLOWING WELL, AND IT WAS EARLY AFTERNOON AND MY DAUGHTER WAS FINE PRIOR TO THE ACCIDENT. I HAVE HAD AN ACCIDENT RECONSTRUCTION EXPERT LOOK AT THE ACCIDENT REPORT AND AVAILABLE EVIDENCE AND HE BELIEVES IT WAS CAUSED BY MECHANICAL FAILURE.

(also on Edmonds)

I have had an accident reconstruction expert investigate the accident and he believes mechanical failure, most likely the ETM module, caused the crash. Unfortunately, since very few complaints have alleged acceleration due to ETM failure (either as a direct result of the failure or in overcompensation for reduced performance caused by the failure), this is a hard case to prove. However, we've been unable to come up with any other reasonable explanation, and the ETM had failed and been replaced on my car before.

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

bump...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

"~^ beancounter ~^" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

2005 S40's have a wonky passenger airbag sensor...

Perhaps with dwindling sales, Volvo is cutting corners : (

Reply to
Lucas Tam

Lucas...yea, something fundamantally "weird" is going on @ volvo...The next 5 years will be interesting to watch....

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Volvo has for quite some time made it obvious that customer satisfaction and customer safety are "one of their interests" but not their overriding prime concern.

For instance, they promote ABS and TRACS as safety devices, yet refuse to do anything about the absurdly high post-warranty failure rates of the controllers for these on the 850 and justify it as 'not a safety related failure'.

Of course they also put a lot of marginal V-6 and diesel engines into the hands of unsuspecting consumers in the 1970s and 80s, so this isn't all something we can put on Ford.

John

Reply to
John Horner