Volvo Creates New Child Restraints - But Can't Offer Them in U.S.

Safety leader Volvo comes up with some innovative car safety seats for children ? but is shut out of offering them in the U.S. market due to an ongoing feud with the federal government. Read More:

6267

----------------------------------- Volvo NewsHub: Latest auto news sourced from websites, portals and blogs

sjmmail2000-247

It's worse here in Canada, the restrictions are even tighter. There's a growing market worldwide for Swedish aftermarket child seats because in Sweden children are rear-facing until age 4 whereas I think it's mandatory here to a year old. We bought a new seat when we found one that went to 35lbs rear-facing after our son exceeded the 30lb threshold on his existing seat.

If you try to import a Swedish seat which supports up to 55lbs rear-facing into Canada the customs people will destroy it at the border.

Sad, business trumps safety again.

blurp

? but is shut out of offering them in the U.S. market due to an ongoing feud with the federal government.

Reply to
blurp

I think we still have you beat in the 'government stupidity' department down here. *g*

Years ago, Ferrari introduced another in it's line of supercars, Testarossa maybe? In order to license it for the street one had to remove the five point harness and install a 'mad mouse' automatic shoulder belt/seatbelt. Gee, I feel so much safer now.

Reply to
clay