what creates P0172, System too Rich (Bank 1) ?

I have been trying to track down the source of a P0172 code on my 96

850 with 108K, and have had all of the vacuum lines replaced with no success. I am wondering exactly what creates this code...does it come from both the upstream and downstream O2 sensors?

I have seen from previous posts that the mass air flow meter is a common culprit for this. Is this more likely, or is it more likely that the mechanic that replaced my vacuum lines missed the one that was really bad? Thanks,

Andy

Reply to
radishpicker

Check the rubber vacuum "ell" at the end of the intake manifold, in behind the steering pump area for being broken. It is not easy to see and harder to replace. Go to

a picture of the vacuum line.BD

---------------------------------

Reply to
BigDick

In addition to vacuum leaks and the air mass meter, this code can be caused by low fuel pressure (weak pump, regulator) or even an exhaust leak between the engine and oxygen sensors.

It's also possible, but unlikely, the front oxygen sensor could cause this code. (It usually causes different codes.)

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks, guys. Indeed, I checked the vacuum hose behind the power steering pump and it is bad. I'm posting another new thread, because it does not look like I can replace this easily, and I don't know how to move the power steering pump in order to gain access. Also, on mine, it looks like a special hose which is thin going into the manifold and thick going to the plastic pipe...??? Thanks again,

Andy

Reply to
radishpicker

What you need is just the vacuum elbow your Volvo dealer parts department will know what you need to perform you need a long needle nose pliers to remove the elbow then very carefully & gently remove the elbow from the hard plastic hose the new elbow just slides down no need to remove the power steering pump whole job should take less then 1/2 hour

Reply to
G Klein