740T exhaust

The muffler on my '87 740T is getting to be in really bad shape, the bracket just rusted off it so I had to tie the thing up with wire. I know sooner or later the muffler is gonna rot out entirely (amazing it's so bad given how nice the rest of the car is). IPD sells a stainless cat back system but it's around $350, and from experience they're good to deal with but certainly not the cheapest place around. Since funds are a bit tight at the moment I'm wondering if anyone has other suggestions for a place to get something similar?

Reply to
James Sweet

You can go to your local hot rod shop and have them do up a 2.5" cat-back in aluminized steel. I'd say 150$ would do it. That will probably last 3 or

4 years if you are lucky. But, ask them how much the identical system will be in stainless. It may be another $100, but will last a very long time, at least 10 years under the poorest of conditions. IPD buys from other makers for the most part, so they mark up. Most local hot rod shops will have you out the door in under an hour, for not a whole lot of money. Last time I went in for a cat-back straight pipe on my 240, it was 15 minutes, 65$ and that was that. The dealer wanted 5 times that.

best of luck, James

RS

Reply to
Rusty

Rusty;

What are you using for a muffler in the cat back system--a universal Volvo fit? In some cars, like my Acura Integra the exhaust makes a huge difference.

My sister owned the Acura first, and replaced the exhaust, her shop pieced it together from universal parts. I replaced the exhaust with the correct type which followed Acura specs (factory parts were way too high!), there was a noticeable difference using the 'correct' exhaust system, at least on the Acura....

Reply to
Steve n Holly

Well the system that's on there was a bit old and ratty when I got the car

3-4 years ago so I would assume a good new one would last me longer than that. I'll look around but I really like the look and sound of a good stainless system and it'll hold up to road salt better on the occasional drives up to Canada. I'll see if I can find a local shop, was hoping to try and find the same ready made system that IPD sells minus the markup though.
Reply to
James Sweet

It does make a difference, though experience tells me that on turbo cars such as mine the rule of thumb is less back pressure and more flow. N/A seem to be more picky, particularly newer higher tech ones.

Reply to
James Sweet