ZF Steering Rack, just finished rebuinding it, now what?

I rebuilt my ZF Power steering rack by replacing all the seals. All went OK with not too much difficulty. It was in good shape internally, no groves or flat spots. I think I got it back together the way it was, but the proof will be when I start the engine.

Now that it's together I am wondering if I should have filled the main tube up to the top . I did add a lot of new power steering fluid but there must be some air in the cylinder, and for sure the hydraulic lines. Will the air self bleed out or do I need to perform a bleed prior to installation. Don't see any ports or opening that would facilitate a bleed so I'm not sure how to proceed.

I could remove the lines at the control head, place them in fluid container and operate the rod, vacuum would pull fluid and should fill the main body completely, one side at a time.

OR will the power steering pump charge the system and remove the air?

Reply to
Dave A.

The fluid circulates in a loop, it'll bleed itself. Just crank the wheel lock to lock a few times with the engine running, ideally on soft ground to be easy on your tires.

Reply to
James Sweet

It's probably too late now, but with the front wheels raised you should first turn the rack lock to lock a couple of times to get as much air out that way before starting it. Then you should start it and repeat the above. Obviously, make sure that the level is kept topped up as the air comes out. It's not too big of a deal if you don't do it this way, the air will eventually come out by itself, this way not so much air is beaten into the fluid, so it comes out more quickly. The steering can be noisy with aerated fluid.

Reply to
Mike F

Where did you find the parts to repair your rack?

Reply to
John B