97 Explorer Steering Noise Rack??? Pump????

I picked up a wrecked 97 Explorer for $250.00 cause it looked like a fun project. After yanking the obvious bad stuff off I noticed that the rack was split so it was replaced. Now when its fired up it makes like a whirring/vacuum leak type noise til you put the slightest pressure on the steering wheel. Then the whirring part of the noise goes away but the vacuum leak sound is still there. Theres no whirring noise at all while the wheels are actually turning.

I called the folks I got it from and they told me that for a while after it was wrecked it would steer to the left but not the right which has me thinking that maybe they trashed the pump by running it with a split rack and no fluid in the reservoir. Not sure. I do know that if you touch the lines on the front of the rack while someone turns the wheel its like you can feel the fluid pulsing through.

If it helps a pole crashed into the front drivers side.

Any ideas outside of looking for another hobby ??

Thanks for any help

Rick

Reply to
rick32557

Did you bleed the power steering system?

This is the procedure for the 98:

CAUTION: If the air is not purged from the power steering system correctly, premature power steering pump failure can result. The condition can occur on pre-delivery vehicles with evidence of aerated fluid or on vehicles that have had steering component repairs.

  1. NOTE: A whine heard from the power steering pump can be caused by air in the system. The power steering purge procedure must be performed prior to any component repair for which power steering noise complaints are accompanied by evidence of aerated fluid. Remove the reservoir cap. Check the fluid. * Use MERCON® Multi-Purpose (ATF) Transmission Fluid XT-2-QDX or MERCON® equivalent.

  1. Tightly insert the stopper of the vacuum pump into the reservoir.
  2. Start the vehicle.
  3. Apply maximum vacuum and maintain it for a minimum of three minutes with the engine speed set at idle.
  4. Release the vacuum and remove the vacuum pump.
  5. CAUTION: Do not overfill the power steering pump reservoir (3E764). Fill the reservoir. * Use MERCON® Multi-Purpose (ATF) Transmission Fluid XT-2-QDX or MERCON® equivalent.

  1. Reinstall the vacuum pump. Apply and maintain maximum vacuum.
  2. CAUTION: Do not hold the steering wheel against the stops for more than three to five seconds at a time. Damage to the power steering pump can occur. Cycle the steering wheel fully to the left and right every 30 seconds for approximately five minutes.

  1. Stop the engine, release the vacuum, and remove the vacuum pump.
  2. Install the reservoir cap.
  3. Check for fluid leaks at all of the c> I picked up a wrecked 97 Explorer for 0.00 cause it looked like a
Reply to
AS

I bled the system by hooking the return hose into a bucket and running about 4 quarts of ATF through it. The noise was still there but it did get a lot of gunk out of there.

Got to thinking how I didn't like the looks of the little white teflon seals that I picked up at NAPA for the lines so I disconnected the line that runs to the cooler and took it to a place that sells parts for 18 wheelers and picked up some teflon o-rings to fit it. I had to bleed it again but the noise is gone now.

Thanks for the post about using the vacuum pump. I didn't know that could be used on a power steering system but after the hose in a bucket adventure thats definitely on my list now.

Thanks again

Rick

Reply to
rick32557