04 Jetta Wagon 2.0 BEV

Cruise control won't maintain constant speed above 60 mph - it surges. New fuel filter; fuel pressure is 65 psi (4.5 bar) at 4K rpm; new plugs. I'm thinking coil pack? throttle body? Any help appreciated. TIA.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

OK, first I know nothing about this cruise control specifically. But I'd suspect something other than engine components if the symptoms are only present when the cruise control is used.

Reply to
PeterD

Ok, I did leave out some additional information. When not using cruise control the speedometer needle starts to bounce around 70 mph. I can maintain a constant speed per my GPS but the needle bounces. The RPM's do remain constant however when this happens.???

Thanks Steve

Reply to
Steve

Ah, never leave out information!

Digital speedometer, so check the speed sender (likely either at a wheel or the transaxle) and wiring. Reseat your connectors as they may be the problem. Often this is caused by some iron filings on the sensor (which has a magnet init) which reduce its sensitivity. In fact, my money is on the sensor either being dirty or failing causing a weak signal.

This problem must be fixed before even th> >>> Cruise control won't maintain constant speed above 60 mph - it surges.

Reply to
PeterD

Reply to
Steve

There's a difference between analog and mechanical. I don't think there is a speedometer cable in an 04... But I could be wrong, so I'll check to be sure, just as soon as the Internet comes back up...

Reply to
PeterD

OK, did some checking and everything I find says it is electronic (digital) with an analog readout. Check the sensor, and try cleaning it first.

Reply to
PeterD

Worth trying. Thanks.

Reply to
Steve

Makes a noise you can hear (with the radio off) does it?

Reply to
me again

I've had 2 of 5 vw_s' odometers make a noise - not loud, no cure.

Reply to
me again