1989 Golf auto

I`ve a problem I`d like to run across you folks. Have a lovely low mileage, well maintained "89" Golf auto. Occaisionally when I get in and start up in simulates all the symptons of 9/10ths flat battery. I just need to pause a two or three seconds have another try and it springs into life with youthful vigour. Has anyone out there got any suggestions?

Reply to
tonyelkins

Had the same problem with my '89. Changed the battery and all is well now. The old battery wasn't dead but was just not powerfull enough anymore..

SFC

"tonyelkins" schreef in bericht news:d8gnmp$air$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...

Reply to
SFC

Ignition switch failing or starter overheating.

Reply to
Eduardo K.

tonyelkins wrote: Is there corrision on the battery terminals? Before you go out and buy a new battery, check the condition of the cables. Wiggle them a bit, then see how it starts. Might want to put a coating of battery spray on there, or Vaseline, if you're on a budget.

Brock

Reply to
Brockster

Hi Brock Thank you for your suggestion. Actually you were not far wrong. I found one of the earth straps between the back of the block and the bulkhead was broken. New earth strap and I`m daring the car to do it again! Thank youonce again. Tony

Reply to
tonyelkins