[1991 Jetta, A2, 1.8L, German-made] No lights on instrument panel or center console

Well, almost no lights.

The car has ~145k and the instrument panel is devoid of light (except when I make a turn, then the turn indicator flashes). The only light coming from the center console is from the digital readout of my radio.

Radio, wipers, external lights, light above the rearview mirror, headlight switch light, AC, fans all work.

Fuses look OK.

I pulled the headlight switch and found the expected continuity in the lower pins.

When I measured resistance across pins 58b and 58e for the dimmer, I got a consistent 2 Ohms no matter what position the dial was in. Does this mean bad switch?

I didn't see any other thing in the schematics in Bentley that all of the disparate interior lights go back to.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
s2zeller

How about the brightness pot? I don't know where it is on your dash, but make sure that is turned up.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

The bulbs don't last that long... just a few bux at the dealer. Bit of a pain to change as the whole dash facia needs to come off followed by the cluster coming out. There's a step-by-step write-up at

I don't disconnect the speedo cable under the hood, but use the vent tothe left to get a skinny hand round the back of the cluster to disconnectthe speedo cable (pinch to release), but I don't have a vacuum tube to thecluster either (no upshift light or MFA).The radio needs to come out but doesn't need to be disconnected - just flipit up and lay it on the top of the dash. Pull out all the switches anddummies to reveal the screws.While you're in there, replace all three bulbs. You don't want to do itagain!

Reply to
John

That was the 58e and 58b... the connectors for the dimmer control which is part of the unit.

So, if the pot is reading no change in resistance, it is bad?

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
s2zeller

But all of the bulbs wouldn't go out at the same time, right?

More likely a common wiring intersection (which appears to be the dimmer pot, to me), no?

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
s2zeller

Ah, didn't notice it was ALL the lights. The dimmer does sound like it could be faulty by not changing resistance but

2 ohms should give near enough max brightness. However, if a wire's been pinched and shorted to ground the dimmer could have melted internally. Is the radio the original one? Replacements don't usually have a variable illumination and may therefore have been left disconnected (and shorted to ground). But if all fuses are good... it's most likely the ground return for the illumination that has become detached or corroded.
Reply to
John

Went ahead and jumpered the live (red) wire past the dimmer and - behold - there was light on my dash and it was good. :)

So, a new switch is in order (since I like to be able to control its brightness).

Yes, the radio was aftermarket, but it is almost as old as the car.

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
s2zeller

A new switch came with the same part number as the old, but the same problem as well!

No dash lights!

Any ideas?

I jumpered around the dimmer switch (30 to 58b) both behind and in front of the socket (and saw no visible corrosion) and got dash lights.

Measuring resistance between 58b and 58e gave me a constant 2k Ohms.... same as touching the probe ends together.

Help!

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
s2zeller

turn the rheostat? :)

Reply to
Eduardo K.

  1. Calibrate or replace your meter. The meter should not indicate 2k ohms when you touch the probe ends together.
  2. Did you intend to say 30 in one place and 58B in the other? I suspect so, since that would be an unusual typo. I don't have your wiring diagram.
  3. When you say a constant 2k Ohms, are you saying that it does not change when you operate the switch/rheostat, but you expect it should?
Reply to
Tom's VR6
  1. Tried calibrating.... won't go down to 0. Seems to only want to calibrate on the infinity end.

  1. Yes.... 30 is the hot (red) wire coming into the socket. 58b is the wire going out from the dimmer to the dash lights. 58e is another wire associated with the dimmer control.

  2. I would assume that the resistance would vary when operating the dimmer.... perhaps it doesn't since there is some circuitry attached to the dimmer dial.

Just seems like bypassing the dimmer and getting light from all of my dash/shifter/radio/etc. internal lights indicates something wrong with the dimmer.

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
s2zeller

Well, too much time on my hands led to a d'oh! discovery...

Apparently, I need glasses, as the fuse for the dash lights (#3) was really, really toasted. Not sure how I missed that the first time 'round, but a new fuse gave me my dimmable dash lights back.

Now, to figure out what's wrong with my ohm-meter...

Thanks all!

Reply to
s2zeller