2000 New Beetle GS: Heat/AC Lights are out

Hi group:
My wife's 2000 New Beetle GS has the lights out in the heating-air conditioning module on the dash board.
During night driving, without the lights, it's very difficult to see
the three (3) controls below the radio.
I looked in the Chilton and Haynes repair manuals for the car and they both say the same thing: these bulbs are NOT user replaced and have to be serviced by Mr. VWWrench.
I asked one of our local VW dealer's service writer about this problem and he suggested that I'd have to leave the car so that the problem could be "researched." This seemed like a very poor answer to what I assumed is a common problem...a light or a group of lights have burned out in the heating-air conditioning module.
Do any readers of this newsgroup have any experience with this problem?
Regards, Al Gershen Grants Pass, OR snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
gassyal wrote:

My first thought, not being an expert but from prior experience with similar problems on other machines, is that it may require "research". Possible faults could be bulbs, fuse, or even damage or fault in a printed circuit board.
Please post the results, out of interest.
Stuart H. 2006 Jetta A5 TDI Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
p.s. Great country around Grant's Pass!
if it's just the bulb the controls will have to be removed to replace the bulb.