2001 1.8t engines

I know there are alot of people looking for these engines, are the a problem child?

I ask because now there seems to be a problem with the cam chain on the jetta and the customer ask if it would be better to replace the engine with a 97 jetta 2.0 lt. engine or fix the one he has?

Reply to
Kafertoys

I think he'd really be disappointed in the difference in power/torque. I'm also not aware of any serious issues with the 1.8T other than supposedly a proclivity to sludge up if the correct oil is not used and obviously the cost incurred if the timing belt breaks (but they don't seem to be notorious for that happening prematurely.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I can only think of the ign. coils.

SFC

Reply to
SFC

My understanding was that that was a supplier issue, and that there weren't any problems with the replacements... but then again I sold my '02 GTI a couple years back so can't say for sure. (sold it to my parents, though, so I figure they would have mentioned if they were having problems.)

I miss that car... I'd still have it if I hadn't had to take a pay cut at my then-current job (after I'd bought the car, of course.) Not nearly as sporty as my '84 GTI, but was a great GT car, you could ride in it all day and not get tired. Mesa-flat torque curve too. Maybe they'll sell it back to me someday...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

No they are decent engines and simple to repair. Your customer probably needs the chain tensioner replaced, or maybe the chain too. Definitely fix the engine that he has, since it is usually worth more than a

2.0. ;-)

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Hey Dave I felt real lucky when he came back ant told me the VR6 deal fell thru, or I know I would be doing that conversion.

I'm going to push to fix the engine thats in it.

Reply to
Kafertoys