2002 Passat V6 Battery Replacement

Hey, my battery in 2002 passat is dead. I cannot figure out how to disassemble the black plastic cover which conceals the battery.

You need to remove that rubber strip that is on the bulkhead that separates the engine bay and the compartment with the battery, then you can navigate out that big plastic cover and access the battery. You also will need to run the throttle adaptation function before your engine will run with the new battery. You need a VW compatible computer for that, like VAG-COM, or the dealer.
Good luck, Peter

Assuming that "dead" means merely that it cannot start the car, you can also beg/borrow a "memory keeper" from the battery shop. It is a small device that plugs into your cigarette lighter in order to hold the memory in your car. This can also be done poor-man's style with jumper cables to another vehicle (NOT RUNNING, of course). But be exceedingly careful with this process as the sparks can be spectacular.
Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA