2003 passat 2.5 v6 tdi intermittent vibration from front wheel

The above vehicle has an intermittent vibration coming from the front passenger side wheel. Its seems to happen more frequently over journeys of

20 miles or more. It feels like the wheel is going to fall off. Anyone any ideas what it may be? Thanks Pm
Reply to
Paul Mc Ewan

When and at what speed? What are you doing (if anything) to trigger it? Turning a lot? Turning a little? Right? Left? Braking? Accelerating? What kind of vibration? Can you feel it in the wheel or just hear it? Or just feel it in the car?

Is this coincidental to any service work (brakes, tires, rotation, alignment)?

Does it change if the car is fully loaded? Or unloaded?

Mileage?

EVERY instance of such is serious, some are more serious than others. Could be:

Ball Joint(s) Wheel bearing Brake Rotor (warped) Axle or CV joint(s) Strut/Strut bearing Broken Spring Failing tire (tread separation) Missing wheel weights Bent wheel Over/under/unevenly torqued lug bolts (especially alloy wheels) Too low air pressure Too high air pressure

and much more.

Could be a failed/failing part, the result of a massive pot-hole, scraping a curb too hard (or the curb was too high), and more.

Get it checked. A failure could be spectacularly distressing, not to mention life-threatening.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

sorry, it seems to be worse when im accelerating and it occurs at any speed. The vehicle then trys to pull to the left and violently shakes the steering wheel. I have also notice a knocking sound when i am turning which sounds a bit like the wheel rubbing of the mud flaps. The only work I have had done recently is 4 new tyres. The first time I felt the vibration the car was fully loaded but it has happened when I was in the car on my own. The car has 63000 miles on it thanks again.

Reply to
Paul Mc Ewan

On the presumption that this problem pre-dated the new tires:

Ball Joints and/or front suspension damage. Deadly-dangerous.

Have it flat-bedded to the nearest suspension-repair facility that you trust. DO NOT drive it at any speed greater than 10mph, and certainly not on any public road.

If it post-dates the tires, STILL flat-bed it to the nearest repair facility and get all four rims (wheels) bearings and the suspension checked. It is just possible that a wheel is so warped as it might be causing the problem. But that is a vanishingly small possibility as you would be able to see something that warped from a good distance even at rest. Or they left off all-but-one lug-bolt or something equally peculiar.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw