85 Jetta still leaking

I redid the plastic liners on the two rear doors on my 85 Jetta GL with

6-mil plastic and 3-M weatherstrip putty. I dried the bottoms of the door panels with a heat gun and put duct tape on the chewed up cardboard and closed everything back up.

I was very careful to fully seal the door openings with plastic, cutting only small slits for the crank handle and a minimum cutout for the inside door handle.

I thought I'd solved the problem of leaking into the rear set wells. Not so. As nearly as I can tell, my fix accomplished nothing. The first time I drove it in the rain, I had another half-inch of standing water in the back seat, and soaking wet door panel bottoms.

Any idea what to try next? I live in Juneau, Alaska now, and I either have to solve this problem or take the car to Arizona, dry it out, and sell it in a dry climate.

BTW, I also have a half-inch of standing water in the trunk.

Pat Moore (85 Jetta GL Auto AC)

Reply to
Pat Moore

Do the front door too, as water runs to the rear.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Did you clean out the drains in the doors first? Did you fill the doors with a garden hose to see that the water is draining out? Are the window gaskets all in ok shape? They all leak some but the little bit of water should go out the door drains. I have had plastic installed with masking tape and did not have leak problems. It rains plenty in Atlanta. There is also a plastic flap around the interiour door vent that is supposed to direct water around that vent. Biggenst thing is water that gets in the door has to have a way to drain out.

The trunk is supposed to have dra>I redid the plastic liners on the two rear doors on my 85 Jetta GL with

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

My 84 Jetta had water in the trunk and it came from the tail lens. Same thing w/ the wife's 92 Taurus, leaking from the tail lenses.

WhiteDog

Reply to
WHTDOG469