Headlight warning on '85 Jetta ???

My '85 Jetta (non-GL) doesn't give me a warning if I remove the key with the headlights/marker lights still on, the way my Audis do.

Looking at the Mitchell wiring diagrams, it looks as if all the wiring is in place for a warning buzzer to be in relay socket #7, but the relay socket is empty and the Mitchell manual lists Relay #7 as "not used".

What's the story on this - Was the headlight warning an optional component or only on GL or certain other models ? Or was there never any headlight warning at all on this era of Jettas ?

- FM - '85 Jetta, '86 Audi 5000, '89 Audi 80

Reply to
Fred Mau

None on my '91 GTI either...just a key-in-the-ignition electronic chime.

Reply to
Matt B.

Neither of my 91s (one a Jetta and one a GTI) have a headlights-on warning, but both power the headlights only when the key is in the "run" position. I don't know if yours does this as well, but leaving the marker lights on beats the pants off leaving the headlights on.

Reply to
Kevin 'Sparty' Broderick

I have an '85 Jetta GL and it never had a headlight warning buzzer . . . until I installed one (but not in the socket . . . never knew there was such a socket)

Reply to
Eric May