96 Golf body integrity

There is a transverse stiffener or brace on the underside of the 96 Golf at about the point where the middle muffler joins the long connecter pipe leading to the cat. This brace is held by 4 threaded studs and nuts. How necessary is this brace to body integrity? How upset should I be that I have two suspect mechanics who may have removed it in the last several months and not reinstalled it?

HM

Reply to
Henry Markov

Well the question is posed in an odd way. Two different mechanics removed a brace that VW spent money to design, manufacture and install. Now how did the said brace got re-installed only to be removed again? Or are you saying that there was once a brace on the car, you sent it to the shop two different times, after that last visit you noticed that the brace was missing? I guess it does not matter. If it was my car I would get a replacement brace and install it.

Reply to
Jim Behning

I don't think it's super-important (for something that allegedly braces the body it's rather light and doesn't seem incredibly heavy/strong) so I wouldn't worry much about it but I would replace it since it should be there.

Reply to
Matt B.

one, it could have rusted off, two it's sole purpose is to hold up the exhaust in the event it falling loose/off, not structually.

Reply to
SteveC

that's what I thought too (not structural) but the ETKA does refer to it as a "connecting strut for floor plate" (assuming i'm looking at the right part...191898335) and that sounds a bit structural to me.

I'd just get a new one and put it on and if there are no issues now w/the body from its absence, then I won't worry about it and move on.

Reply to
Matt B.

I have been driving my 96 Golf without that bracket for oh about 70K miles. The car is still structurally intact! It just seems to cause the muffler to make sounds that annoy my wife. I think it sounds cool.

Reply to
jeanguenat