97 Jetta Ticking now Whacking

My daughter's 97 Jetta 2.0 with 110k miles was over heated pretty good a little under a year ago. At that point it started ticking. It sounds like just one thing, either the intake or exhaust valve/lifter/rod on just one cylinder.

It has progressively worsened from a tick to a whack.

So, is this typical behavior if it were just a lifter? Do they get progressively worse? Or, is it more likely some other melted part: rod, valve, etc.

If only a lifter, I think I could manage that job, although advice is graciously accepted.

There are no other symptoms from the overheating -- it doesn't burn oil at an increased rate, there's no oil in the coolant or vice versa, there's no leak from the head gasket.

I've tried increasing the oil change frequency and using CD2.

Thanks a bunch.

Scott

Reply to
SBD

I have seen some overheated engines where the oil pump windage tray (plastic) has melted and clogs the pickup screen creating a low oil pressure situation and eventual engine failure. Looks like this

So check that oil pressure NOW!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks for the advice and I will do that.

But, wouldn't all the lifters be affected then? The sound is clearly one of eight.

And wouldn't the oil pressure light come on?

Scott

Reply to
SBD

In addition to the other reply you've received, is it possible that you have a blown exhaust gasket and/or cracked manifold? Might want to try feeling around under the hood with the engine running and see if you feel little puffs of exhaust on your hand (careful, some of that stuff is hot...)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Hmmm. Thanks; Ill check. But, I don't think so. Different sound. This is top end I think.

I'd hate to open it up and find out it's not lifters. Do they typically fail incrementally or at once?

I'm not sure I'd tackle a head myself.

Reply to
SBD

I thought all owners immediately shut the engine off when the RED lamp has been flashing for the last 50 miles?(lol)

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Yes I too would think that more than one lifter should be affected if the oil pressure was low. Yes that light may come on when the oil pressure is way too low, but at what level and what rpm? If the pickup is partially blocked by a melted windage tray then the oil pressure may only attain a certain pressure and volume and stay that way throughout the rpm level of the engine. So if it is 10 psi at idle with X pints per minute of volume, then it might not achieve 40 psi or XXX pints of volume at 3000 rpm. It may only stay at 10 psi with X pints per minutes at 3000 rpm = NOT GOOD! This may be enough to keep the oil light off though but is really not enough for the engine.

If you listened and have determined that one lifter is bad then you can probably determine which lifter it is after you pull off the valve cover. Then that lifter will probably easily push down with a tool. To replace you simply and carefully (Bentley instructions) remove the camshaft and replace the lifter! Simple huh? lol Yeah there are some procedures on carefully loosening up the bolts on the camshaft along with reinstalling it. This is the most critical part of the job and it is not difficult if you wish to do it yourself. I am wondering why it is just one lifter and not more than one. Maybe just a fluke and a little dirt got inside of the lifter and made it a non-functioning lifter.

Now it could also be weak valve springs! I have not seen this yet on a VW engine but I guess it is possible too. Cross that bridge if you come to it!

I like to know why a part fails!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I listened and determined it is just one "thing", not necessarily a lifter. I'm hoping it is a lifter as that's the easiest procedure. I'm just not sure as I have not experienced this before. Can a failed lifter really be this friggin loud?

Like most weekend warriors without the experience you have, to a certain point I'm just throwing darts. I'm pretty good with theory and actually doing the work, but diagnostics is a different matter and takes experience. Someone with your experience may be able to just listen to the thing and say, "No way that's a lifter, just replace the head." Or, "Yup, that's a lifter, piece of cake."

Thanks.

Scott

Reply to
SBD

Some actually just sit and watch the pretty light show! lol

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Is the noise on acceleration only or anytime the engine is on?

Reply to
Matt B.

Any time the engine is on.

Reply to
SBD

I changed the oil, and it may be my imagination, but it seems just a tad quieter. I ordered the lifters and gaskets.

Thanks all. Wish me luck.

Scott

Reply to
SBD

My 95 Golf suddenly started making a noise that sounded like a bad rod bearing or something, but it turned out to be the serpentine belt. A

1/4 " chunk" had broken out of the groove side. The belt only had about 20K on it and had been installed at a VW dealer (FWIW).

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 07 Passat 2.0T 06 GTI DSG

Take out the CAT to reply by email

Reply to
William Maslin

Thanks, Bill. The drive belt is just under a year old, but I'll make sure.

Scott

Reply to
SBD