98 Jetta Alternator Belt Removal

I need to replace the main serpentine belt that drives the alternator and A/C unit. According to the VW manual on CD, all that is required is to somehow twist the tensioning pulley with no other work required. Is this correct? If so, how do you adjust the belt tension after the new belt is on.

Reply to
antonr01

The '95 may be different, and you didn't say 2.0l or VR6 or Briggs&Stratton, but all I did was take a big adjustable wrench, put in on the tensioner pulley's lever arm, release the pressure, pull off the belt. Put belt back on, jigger the pulley around like before to get the belt over it, done.

The tensioner pulley, uh, sets the tension.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol