swapping 96 for 02 radio, harness?

Hi all,

Anyone make an adapter to allow putting a 2002 VW radio into a 96 Cabrio? I've not pulled the old one out yet but apparently the connectors on the back are different between the 96 and 02 radios. Before I go making one of my own, does anyone already make one?

Thanks,

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99

To help anyone else searching the web archives, to use a 2002 monsoon in a

96 you need to feed +12v ignition switched into pin 5 of the power connector. On a 96 head unit (premium 3) this pin isn't connected. On an '02 head unit, however, it needs to be connected to a +12v line that's active when the ignition is keyed-on. A simple jumper from the red/white +12v lead already in the connector makes things work. No need to replace any other part of the connector or harness.

Reply to
wkearney99

Has anyone changed the color on a 2002 Monsoon head unit? The red baclighting on the buttons doesn't look all that great now that I've put it in a '96 Cabrio. I sort of looks like it might just be a matter of swapping out the red LEDs. Anyone done it? How about the blue backlighting on the LCD area?

Reply to
wkearney99