98Jetta TDI strange howl

Hi, My 98 Jetta TDI (1.9L Standard) has an intermittant relativly high pitch howl .. what-zit?

After driving for some time (1/2 hour) at 50 to 60 mph, a sudden but not very long lasting noise is heard .. when all 3 of the following conditions exist

  1. after slowing down, shifting down then shifting up again to accelerate
  2. after having made a turn .. seems to me left turns .. but that's not absolutly sure as it only started yesterday
  3. noise cuts off as soon as I just touch the brake ..no significant pressure need be applied.

Sound is quite loud, sounds like a tuning fork ( from high school .. remember those ?) Noise does not change with Engine RPM Noise does not last very long

Temperatures here are around 85F 30 C I think

Any Ideas?

This e-mail not really a good one.. too much spam better one is snipped-for-privacy@cyberus.ca

a posted reply would be better.

Thanks ..

-- Cheers, Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Wendell

Wheel bearing on the right side....

howl is pads slightly contacting the rotors -- brakes on = full pad contact = noise goes away

Reply to
Sobriez

Wheel Bearings seem to be OK

Noise comes a bit after engine is warm, and is heard on acceleration. It is a solid tone .. like claimed above .. like a tuning fork, or the sound you hear when you rub a wet finger around the rim of a good quality wine glass. It stopps immediately on touching the brake petal .. just touching it, very little pressure, like, just enuf presure to make the brake lights go on but not feel the braking action. Almost seems to be connected somehow to the electrical system.

Does the Turbo do that? Will dirty air or other fuilters do that Power steering? (fluid level is full) Temperature guage is normal Air conditioner on or off makes no difference Coasting in Neutral when the sound starts not change it Shifting to Neutral does not change it. Seems that, after slowing down for an intersection then accelerating brings on the "howl"

Anyone any idea?

-- Cheers, Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Wendell