A2 motor mounts

89 Jetta 1.8 8V Automatic there is play in one of the motor mounts. When shifting thru the gears the engine moves and a crunch is felt inside the vehicle. Had my wife shift thru the gears while I watched each mount's reaction.

Looks like the front mount(by lower portion of radiator) is moving up and down. The nut on top is tight. This is a hydraulic mount according to my info here. Do these go bad often? Also it makes the vehicle shake at a stop light idling.

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Simplstupd

They do tend to go bad and if it's original, it's very likely to be bad by now. The automatic models I think had one encased in metal that lasts longer than the mouint found on manual-trans models. Nevertheless it could be bad by now. New ones are available in the same shape that can be had in hydro or solid configurations. Should be under $100.

Reply to
Matt B.

It should really smooth out if you replace all three mounts! I need to do this to my 91 Passat one day along with a new exhaust system. lol later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

They do go bad. I had a solid front mount on my '86 GTI, but I replaced it with a hydralic mount from a Corrado. I needed to get a different mounting bracket for it to fit (from a donor car of similar year to mount)

Of the 3 mounts, this was easiest one to replace...I had a manual, you had to lift up then engine slightly (get tension off mount and remove several bolts that go to the starter (I know the automatic has starter in rear of flywheel different than manual)...it was otherwise no big deal to replace.

The transmission rear mount was tougher to get at, only did that when I did my clutch (had to drop the transmission to get at it. I never did get to replace the rear mount on the engine, though.

--------- Tom Flynn I speak only for myself

Reply to
Tom Flynn