AC Troubles - replaced all switches - still warm!

95 GTI VR6 - 120K miles. Been having AC gremlins for about two weeks. Initially though my charge was low so I bought a kit with a gauge and it looked a little low so I added some. No change - compressor appeared to be engaging - some blew cold, then when driving would kick off and on but would work at idle and blow cold air. Ordered an AC Pressure switch and AC Thermal Cutout switch. During the wait for the parts my dad (unfortunately) added more and the valve on the compressor blew and released gas/oil. I think during both times during the add process I may have added too much oil and not enough freon. Installed both switches, the compressor runs but I the low pressure line is warm but the pressure gauge indicates the pressure level is acceptable when the compressor is engaged. Haven't done a high pressure test yet. Any thoughts before I take it in. Is the compressor totally shot? I don't hear any abnormal noises - or grinding and will an evac/recharge/flush solve the problem or am I wasting money on the flush when a new compressor is needed?
Reply to
S Timinski