2000 Silverado AC

Hi all,

I bought a used 2000 Silverado and the AC has never worked. When i try turnning on the AC nothing happens (no light nothing), I tried hooking up power directly from the battery to the AC and the clutch does try to engage but it stalls out the truck...

I was wondering if this means the AC compresson is done seized or just not enough refrigerant?

Someone told me that the AC might not be able to be turned on because the refrigerant is empty..

I just need a few ideas before going to the garage.

Thanks

nevlis

Reply to
nevlis
2000 Silverado AC Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, May 30, 2005, 1:33pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@removesilven.canada.com (nevlis) Hi all, I bought a used 2000 Silverado and the AC has never worked. When i try turnning on the AC nothing happens (no light nothing), I tried hooking up power directly from the battery to the AC and the clutch does try to engage but it stalls out the truck... I was wondering if this means the AC compresson is done seized or just not enough refrigerant? Someone told me that the AC might not be able to be turned on because the refrigerant is empty.. I just need a few ideas before going to the garage. Thanks nevlis

If it detects low or high pressure the clutch will not come on....Disconnect the cycling switch from your dryer..Jump the two wires your compressor will come on if it has power...Have you even hooked up some gauges to it?It would tell you right away if you had any charge in the system....Not really enough information for a poper diagnosis..But you can turn on the compressor by jumping the switch even if there is no charge in it...As long as it has power...Could be any thing bad cycling switch ,,AC relay,Compressor,low charge due to leakage,High pressure due to blockage,A shorted control head.. But like i said not enough info.... S Cook.

Reply to
Steve Cook

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Steve Cook) wrote in news:12508-429B715F-308 @storefull-3238.bay.webtv.net:

Hi Thanks for the reply,

I did not hook any guages at all to it. The only thing I did so far was I tried jumping the wires directly without disconnecting the cycling switch, the clutch did try and engage because it stalled out the truck.

Would stalling out the truck be normal with the jumping procedure I just mentioned?

I am just trying to find out a little info before going to the garage.

Thanks

nevlis

Reply to
nevlis

You must need a new compressor if it stalls the truck when you jump it. It shouldn't stall the truck, period.

Reply to
Robin AndrePont

Agreed. H

Reply to
Hairy

Re: 2000 Silverado AC Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, May 30, 2005, 6:50pm (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Robin=A0AndrePont) You must need a new compressor if it stalls the truck when you jump it. It shouldn't stall the truck, period.

Not true...Now do you have a manual or a automatic HVAC system.?Also you need to jump your cycling switch from terminal to terminal ...Not your high pressure switch considering the said he induced voltage to the switch I believe it has a 5volt refference sending 12 volts through it would for sure stall the engine when it detects high voltage like that..This system dont run power off of a high pressure switch but the cycling switch the high pressure switch is a reference sensor for the PCM...Which will make it stall I done know how many times Ive seen it shorted to power inducing too much voltage and stalling...The easiest way insted of just changing parts you dont know are bad ...Is to jump your cycling switch see then if the clutch comes on...If it does does it get cold? If it dont see if you have power from the fuse box to your cycling switch....If it does get cold and works normally..Replace your cycling switch....By the way does your switch have a brown band around it?????? If it does there is a updated switch for it ....There is a TSB for the switch... S Cook

Reply to
Steve Cook

He didnt jump it he indused power....Not the same thing... S Cook

Reply to
Steve Cook

Not necessarily. There should be an enriching mode to dump more fuel into the engine when AC is called for. If the computer is not seeing that AC is being requested, no enrichment would occur. Forcing the clutch on at this time with no extra gas could stall the motor.

Reply to
Stephen Young

From his description, it's hard to tell exactly what he did.

"I tried hooking up power directly from the battery to the AC"

"I tried jumping the wires directly without disconnecting the cycling switch"

It all depends on what he did and how he did it. H

Reply to
Hairy

Stephen Young wrote in news:aLPme.18001$ snipped-for-privacy@fe07.lga:

Ok guys thanks for all the replys... I just want to note that I am in no way a mechanic of any type.

All I did was take two wires one from the positive side of the battery and one to the negative side and touched them to the two wire plug found at the top of my AC compressor... I believe one wire was black the other green. At that point the truck stalled.

Thanks nevlis

Reply to
silven

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Steve Cook) wrote in news:19134-429BC351-477 @storefull-3234.bay.webtv.net:

My switch does not have a brown ban all it has is a snowflake

Thanks

Reply to
nevlis

Well you are correct about two things, the compressor is toast and the reason it does not try to work on its own is because the freon is low. You need to replace compressor, receiver/dryer and expansion valve/orifice and screen, add correct amount of oil and recharge system. No quick and easy fix here.

Reply to
SnoMan

Yes, the compressor is toast and locked up and not from charge but siezure. (though it may have failed for improper charge to begin with, it is trashed) To think otherwise is dreaming and a waste of time.

Reply to
SnoMan

battery

Find you a friend or a trust worth mech that can work on A/C?s and do not waste time (or money) with diagnosis and have them replace the compressor, the expansion valve/orifice (because it has a screen that can be trashed full from a compressor failure) and the receiver/dryer assembly (because you should always replace them with a compressor change). Add correct amount of oil (parts will come with instructions to the effect for mechs) and vacum down system and install R134a and you should be as good as new.

Reply to
SnoMan

Re: Re: 2000 Silverado AC Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, Jun 6, 2005, 6:38am (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@AutoForumz.com (SnoMan) "nevlis" wrote: All I did was take two wires one from the positive side of the battery and one to the negative side and touched them to the two wire plug found at the top of my AC compressor... I believe one wire was black the other green. At that point the truck stalled. Thanks nevlis Find you a friend or a trust worth mech that can work on A/C's and do not waste time (or money) with diagnosis and have them replace the compressor, the expansion valve/orifice (because it has a screen that can be trashed full from a compressor failure) and the receiver/dryer assembly (because you should always replace them with a compressor change). Add correct amount of oil (parts will come with instructions to the effect for mechs) and vacum down system and install R134a and you should be as good as new.

Reply to
Steve Cook

Not as funny as believing the compressor is okay and trying to fix it with a switch. I guess you have never seen one locked up, I have seen more than a few in my lifetime american and foriegn.

Reply to
SnoMan

Re: Re: 2000 Silverado AC Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, Jun 6, 2005, 6:36pm (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@AutoForumz.com (SnoMan) "Steve Cook" wrote: Would be funny if he did all of this and it was just a bad cycling switch.... Not as funny as believing the compressor is okay and trying to fix it with a switch. I guess you have never seen one locked up, I have seen more than a few in my lifetime american and foriegn.

Reply to
Steve Cook

I'm sure you have something important to say here...

.. could you try posting again, in English? ?!??!!

what does "...For someone to even say its locked up and knows about HVAC first without pressure readings

also without on this one bypassing " mean?

Reply to
burntkat

perhaps the truck isn't idling-up enough to compensate for the increased drag of the compressor?

IE: perhaps the compressor is fine. Maybe the ECU has a problem?

Reply to
burntkat