ALTERNATOR!!!

My alternator that I just bought had been rebuilt by a reputable person. problem is that is when the car is idling it just like to hang out a 12.5 volts, if I give it any gas, the volts drop down to

11.90ish. the belt squeels alot when im doing that. so is it possible its slipping? or maybe the pulley itself is slipping since I had to put another one on to compensate for removing the a/c, and had to woogy boogy mickey mouse it on with a washer. the car is a golf gl, that I recently put in a 2.0l 16v running on motronic. car ran fine for about a week and now this is happening. Also, the red light is on before I start the car, once the car has started it turns off.
Reply to
the_lower_class_brat

When you put the new pully on, did you fit a woodruff key??

Reply to
Baz

Sand the belt riding surfaces on all pulleys and replace belts. Tension needs to be tight on that ''formerly" tiny alternator belt, and they can go bad quickly like every 2-3 years. ;-) BUT since you have taken off the a/c compressor then I am not sure how your belt setup is. My alternator that I just bought had been rebuilt by a reputable

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

  1. Install the proper pully, properly.
  2. Replace the belt.
  3. Properly tension the belt.
Reply to
PeterD

Does it mount on rubber bushes? If so, these can go a bit floppy and allow the belt to slip.

Not tight enough, or see above.

If it is, it will friction-weld itself to the shaft soon ;-)

Al.

Reply to
Al

Right. The belt should not bottom out in the pulley.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Alright so its no way the alternator, just another case of the electrical blues, and ive sourced it, kind of... If I plug in connector g1 on the back of the fuse box, I might as well flush the volts down the drain, voltmeter jumps down to 9.5 volts, and if I unplug it Ill rock 10.5-11 volts, and then if I take the key out of the ignitio ill be rockin 12s. car is made in mexico, guess thats why... :D

Reply to
the_lower_class_brat

Your original post made sense.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Wow, you're so smart! I'm impressed. Really.

Reply to
PeterD

Okay forget that, I rewire the complete harness and couldnt find anything, i got the car charging at 13.4 volts for a bit, but I was driving down the road and all the lights and guages started to dim. so the alternator is suspect now, just working when it feels like.

Reply to
the_lower_class_brat

Reply to
none2u