Auto transmission replacement options for Vanagon?

I have an 88 Vanagon with an 3 speed Automatic transmission. The rpm's on the highway are too high. I was told that I can convert to a manual transmission and get taller 3rd and 4th gears. I would rathe stick with an AT.

Does anyone know of any other types of transmissions from other VW vehicles that I can convert to in order to lower the rpm at highway speeds. Are there replacement 4 speed auto tranny's for vanagon's?

Thx,

Reply to
Moon

Why do you think the RPM is too high? As RPM gets lowered it would need to create more torque to keep the same MPH. But back to your question, the only way I know to lower the RPM in 3rd gear is change the ring & pinion(final drive) ratio.

Reply to
Woodchuck