catalytic converter

Check engine light at 87000 on 2000 Passat GLX wagon, dealer says it's the cat converters, the VW price is 1400 FREAKING DOLLARS EACH. Even the service manager advised checking into an exhaust shop, but thanks to advice here and on B5 forum, I see them under $400 each "readyfit" online. That does mean it's a direct replacement, right? No cutting and welding? Any fancy shmancy VW-only tools needed to remove and replace?

But beyond that, is this a gouge or what? That's more than 10% the price of the car new! Has anyone tried to take VW to task over this?

Reply to
MikeK

Isn't the emission system warranteed for eight years?

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith
87K seems premature for cat failure. I suggest you have an independent garage verify the diagnosis.

Reply to
CSS

Reply to
Woodchuck

Have you called VW and ask if they would pick up a portion of the cat cost? Not sure if they will, but it doesn't hurt to ask. My guess anything other than VW cats is a chop and hack replacement. As for tools... nothing special, but they are a PAIN to replace unless it's a manual trans.

good luck.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I had a Cat go at about 80K on a 96 A4 1.8 - I replaced it with an aftermarket cheap job & frankly I wish I'd used the VAG part - the one that's on there now is much noisier.

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

The local dealer here in San Antonio quoted me a similar price for a catalytic converter for a 1995 Jetta. "Okay", I said, "let me talk to the wife first". I went to Rapid Parts online and ordered a Techtonics converter, had it shipped overnight and the dealer installed it for $50. I think the Techtonics parts was $250, but I may be high.

You can do the installation yourself if you have jackstands. I think it was like three bolts and a coupler, it didn't look like rocket science.

Reply to
Viva_La_France!

In my opinion this is far too early to fail and if it was me I would be raising cain.

Try and find out what caused this. ? What has been done to the motor under warranty?

In other words, has a faulty situation , fixed under warranty caused this. ?

Some examples that could be used to 'leverage ' your position.

  1. Bad coils. Extra fuel in the combustion chamber could have contaminated the cat and caused premature failure.

  1. Oil burning. Although VW states that oil consumption of 1 qt per 1000 miles is OK, it would not help the life of you cat.

  2. Any other ignition or fuel problems fixed under warranty?

  1. MAF replacement might case a rich/lean condition.

Good luck

david

Reply to
nosmo

You may be right that it is too early, but let's face it. The warrantee covers it for X time-miles. It is past that point. It is the owner's problem now, unless there is some sort of extended warrantee.

I believe that 75,000 miles is too soon for an engine failure, but you will not find many manufacturers that will cover a engine failure at that time. Nor should you.

The cost of a car includes the cost of servicing the warrantee. If you don't believe the warrantee offered with the car is sufficient, you have the option of buying an insurance policy. Such is life.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

IIRC my TT cat for my '91 GTI was I think about $150 plus an extra $10 or so for them putting in a O2 sensor hole. See what you have under there now (if the cat has an O2 sensor in it...might even have two of them (before and after the cat) if it's an OBDII (1996 or later) car.

Or ramps. Whatever safely gives you clearance to get uner there.

it's not. worst case scenario is if it gets kinda rusty under there. get some PB Blaster from the local flaps and spray that on the bolts and let it penetrate for a while.

Reply to
Matt B.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in news:oh7he.21531$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

The service guy gave me VW's 800 number and suggested that I give them a call, they might negotiate a deal since I have had the car properly serviced and it's only 7000 miles out of warranty. Haven't called em yet, but I expect to do it very shortly. If I get nothing good from them, I will go aftermarket. I note that there seems to be a serious difference of opinion as to whether aftermarket cats are good or bad, and whether the work is hard or easy.

One thing, when I told the service manager I'd found em a lot cheaper, he acted glad for me, I honestly think he was embarassed at the price. But when I asked if they could install em, he just shook his head. So it would be either me or an independent joint.

Reply to
mike