Das Blinken Glow Plug Lights

Just picked up a 1985 GTI, that someone decided to swap a 1.6NA diesel into. Why? I have no idea. But the glow plug light just started acting weird. It will come on when I turn the key on, but after a little bit, will start blinking. And will not stop. Can't find anything in the Bently manual, never had this happen on my 1982 Rabbit Diesel. Wasn't doing this when I first got the car a couple weeks ago.

Any suggestions? If there is info on this in the Bently, a page number is all I need.

Thanks

Reply to
Johann Koenig

FWIW, on my '85 Diesels a blinking glow plug light indicates that water is detected in the water separator box (just forward of the right rear wheel). I disconnected the water sensor when it started behaving badly. Since yours is a retrofit, don't know if the PO included a water separator at all (I removed mine eventually--without any trouble in the last ten years) or how they might have wired the glow plug circuit.

Denny Straussfogel Two '85 Diesel Golfs

Reply to
Dennis Straussfogel

They did a surprisingly good job with the wiring harness. Even loomed it up all pretty. I don't think I have the water separator though, because they kept the fuel pump and the hard fuel lines. Do have a bosch diesel filter in front of the right front wheel, drained that off. Going to look for that separator some more later, I broke a bolt off in the brake caliper, gotta get that fixed.

Thanks for the tip!

Reply to
Johann Koenig